Qualifications For Licensure Speech-Language Pathologists

To qualify for a full license in speech-language pathology, an applicant must:

  1. Must submit to fingerprinting.
  2. Hold a Master's degree in speech-language pathology from an accredited educational institution.
  3. Completed 300 hours of supervised clinical practicum in three different clinical settings.
  4. Completed 36 weeks of full-time supervised experience, Required Professional Experience, or 72 weeks of part-time supervised experience.
  5. Pass a national exam in speech-language pathology with a minimum score of 600 administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS), the Praxis Series. The exam must not be more than five years old. You must authorize ETS to report your test score to our Board using Report Code R8544.

For further information pertaining to the national examination dates and locations or to obtain a bulletin containing the examination information, visit www.ets.org/praxis.


Option #1

Required Professional Experience (RPE)

If you are applying for your temporary RPE license, all coursework and your clinical practicum hours must be completed.

Option #2

Equivalent Qualifications

For those with a current Certificate of Clinical Competence issued by ASHA, qualifications #2-5 are satisfied.

Option #3

Licensed in Another State

Must possess an active and current license from another state. If you also hold a current ASHA certification, you must use Option #2.

Option #4

Previously Licensed in California

Held a license in California that expired more than 5 years ago.

Option #5

Foreign Educated

Completed education in a foreign country (including Canada)