Qualifications For Licensure Audiologists

To qualify for a full license in audiology, an applicant must:

  1. Submit to fingerprinting.
  2. Effective January 1, 2008, hold a doctoral degree or equivalent in audiology from an accredited educational institution. (Prior to January 1, 2008, hold a masterís degree or equivalent in audiology from an accredited educational institution.)
  3. Have completed 300 hours of supervised clinical practicum in three different clinical settings.
  4. Have completed the final year externship under the direction of an audiology doctoral program. (Prior to January 1, 2008, completed 36 weeks of full-time or 72 weeks of part-time supervised Required Professional Experience (RPE).)
  5. Effective February 5, 2021, pass the national audiology exam administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) Praxis Series 5343 with a minimum score of 162 or Praxis Series 5342 with a minimum score of 170. The exam must not be more than five years old. You must authorize ETS to report your test score to our Board using Report Code R8544.

For further information pertaining to the national examination dates and locations or to obtain a bulletin containing the examination information, visit www.ets.org/praxis.


Option #1

Required Professional Experience Temporary License for AU.D. students

Option #2

Equivalent Qualifications

For those with a current Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology (CCC-A) issued by ASHA or are currently American Board of Audiology (ABA) certified by the American Academy of Audiology.

Option #3

Licensed in Another State or U.S. Graduate

Must possess an active and current license from another state.

Option #4

Previously Licensed in California

Held a license in California that expired more than 5 years ago.

Option #5

Foreign-Educated Graduates

Completed graduate education outside of the United States


Pursuant to AB 107 (Chapter 693, Statutes of 2021, Salas) the Board must issue a 12-month temporary license to any applicant who 1) holds a current, active and unrestricted audiology license in another state, 2) is married to or in a domestic partnership with an active duty member of the military, and 3) where that active duty military member is currently stationed in California. The temporary license is nonrenewable and expires 12 months after issuance, upon issuance of a permanent license, or upon denial of an application for permanent licensure. The Board has 30 days after receipt of all necessary documentation and clearance of the applicants Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigation background check to issue the temporary license. NOTE: the individualís license from another state cannot have been disciplined by a licensing entity in another jurisdiction and cannot be the subject of an unresolved complaint, review procedure, or disciplinary proceeding conducted by a licensing entity in another jurisdiction.

Temporary licenses will be issued electronically and displayed on the DCA Search website at https://search.dca.ca.gov/.

The applications for these temporary licenses can be accessed at the links below:

Required Professional Experience (RPE) Military Spouse/Domestic Partner Temporary License for AU.D. students

Audiologist Military Spouse/Domestic Partner Temporary License for Individuals Licensed in Another State

Dispensing Hearing Aids:

If you wish to dispense hearing aids, you must take and pass the California hearing aid dispensers written and practical licensing examinations. Please see examination information under the Applicant-Hearing Hearing Aid Dispensing page.