Qualifications for Registration as a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant

Pursuant to the CRR section 1399.170.11 to be eligible for registration as a speech-language pathology assistant, the applicant must possess at least one of the following:

  1. Board-approved program,
  2. A bachelor's degree in speech-language pathology or communication disorders from an institution listed in the "Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education" handbook issued by the American Council on Education, or
  3. An out-of-state associate of arts or sciences degree in speech-language pathology assistant.

The applicant must also complete field work experience in one of the following ways:

  1. A minimum of one hundred (100) hours of field work experience or clinical experience through an educational institution listed above, or
  2. The completion of thirty-six (36) weeks of full-time work experience in another state performing the duties of a speech-language pathology assistant enumerated in the Business and Professions Code 2538.1(b)(4)

The application can be accessed at the link below:

Speech-Language Pathology Assistant License


Pursuant to AB 107 (Chapter 693, Statutes of 2021, Salas) the Board must issue a 12-month temporary license to any applicant who 1) holds a current, active and unrestricted audiology license in another state, 2) is married to or in a domestic partnership with an active duty member of the military, and 3) where that active duty military member is currently stationed in California. The temporary license is nonrenewable and expires 12 months after issuance, upon issuance of a permanent license, or upon denial of an application for permanent licensure. The Board has 30 days after receipt of all necessary documentation and clearance of the applicants Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigation background check to issue the temporary license. NOTE: the individualís license from another state cannot have been disciplined by a licensing entity in another jurisdiction and cannot be the subject of an unresolved complaint, review procedure, or disciplinary proceeding conducted by a licensing entity in another jurisdiction.

Temporary licenses will be issued electronically and displayed on the DCA Search website at https://search.dca.ca.gov/.

The applications for these temporary licenses can be accessed at the links below:

Speech-Language Pathology Assistant Military Spouse/Domestic Partner Temporary License